Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, June 9, 2008

Interesting Weekend!!

Well my body decided that it didn't want to wait to have the D&C procedure...almost made it but not quite. I started to bleed at work on Thursday afternoon and decided to go home to deal with this horrible experience. Of course Erik was working late that day (only day all week that he was away) so I was left at home alone dealing with all this. Luckily my mom came over right after work to bring me dinner and to stay with me until Erik came home. At this point, I was ready to go to bed, hoping my body can wait just a little longer (I didn't pass the proper "stuff" yet...sorry TMI). Off to bed we go...

At about 1am I wake up to HORRIBLE intense cramping and back pains. Wow, were they intense! I normally have painful periods and handle pain VERY well but this was a whole new story. I continue with this pain for about another hour or 2 and Erik decides that its time to go to the ER. I was reluctant at first but thought I better be safe than sorry. I was laying on the floor screaming in pain at this point. We get up, get dressed, put Del away and off to the ER we go.

We get to the ER around 3:30am and were taken back right away...thats a plus! They have me change into a gown and start up an IV right away. The nurse takes all my vitals and info and tells me to wait for the doctor. We wait...and wait...and wait some more. About 2 hours later (yes I said TWO hours later) the doctor finally comes in. During those 2 hours, I was in the most intense pain of my entire life. I was bawling my eyes out in pain and Erik felt so helpless...he was great though, holding my hand and telling me everything would be over soon. At one point I decided to go to the bathroom and low and behold I passed everything right then and there...I could tell that by what came out...trust me! I come back to the room and tell Erik that I think I passed everything and my pain really subsided a lot! So the doctor comes in and asks my pain level on a scale of 1-10. I told him that if he was in about an hour ago I would have said 500 but now its more like a 2 or 3. He tells me to stay put and he was going to call my OB doctor to see what they want to do. About 2 minutes later a nurse comes in to take 8 viles of blood...yes EIGHT! Don't forget that I have been losing A TON of blood plus I haven't eaten in a long time since I was fasting for the surgery. Surprisingly I did VERY well with it and didn't feel sick at all. After that another lady comes in to do an EKG...why? I have no idea! Then another lady comes in to take my blood pressure laying down, sitting up and standing up. She then wheels me up to the next floor for an ultrasound. I sit in the hall for about 30 minutes having to pee SOOOOO bad. The u/s tech comes out and wheels me in. Time for an internal u/s...and again, don't forget I'm bleeding very badly at this point...wonderful! Very painful and uncomfortable experience. That is over so they wheel me back up to the ER. We wait...wait...and wait some more than my OB doctor comes in and I must say that she was very compassionate and nice about everything. What a change from my earlier experiences with the practice! She tells me that the u/s showed that I passed about 90% of everything. At this point it is 10am on Friday and my D&C was scheduled for 11am. She gave me the option to wait and have the D&C done at 11 or have her do a pelvic exam to try and remove it. I just wanted to go home so I told her to do the pelvic exam. Another lovely experience and VERY painful. I was so relieved when I heard her say "Oh I see it...lets remove it so you can go home!" YAY! She removes it and I never saw such a creeped out look on Erik's face. Poor guy has seen what its like to be a woman and explains that he's glad to be a man...lol! Anyway, I go and get cleaned up and come back thinking I can go home but not yet! Nurse says, don't forget you need a Rhogam shot because you are RH negative. Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Yes, I tested RH negative back at my first OB visit weeks earlier. Meaning that I would need Rhogam shots throughout the pregnancy and once I give birth (or in this case, miscarry). This is needed because if the baby's blood would mix with my blood it could cause major problems for me. So about 2 minutes later this guy comes in to take 2 more viles of blood...fun fun! Is there any blood left...seriously? This was needed to get the proper Rhogam shot. We wait some more and about 30 minutes later the nurse comes back with the shot and my discharge papers. She says "turn over...this shot needs to be in the butt!" Awesome...why not? I've already been poked, jabbed, and stuck...why not in the butt too? I'm a pro at this since I was getting progesterone shots in the butt all the time in the earlier weeks. That was done and she gives me my discharge papers and sends us on our way. YAY! I must say that overall the care I got at Holy Spirit was very good. The doctors, nurses, techs, etc were all very nice. The waiting was a pain but that is to be expected in an ER. I was so glad to be leaving (it was 12pm on Friday when we left by the way). We stopped at Arby's drive thru on the way home (I was STARVING). I was so happy to see my house and my bed. I crawled into bed right after I ate my lunch and slept for a couple hours since I didn't sleep a wink that night.

I'm sooooooo glad that this is all over, well the physical part. Emotionally will take some more time. I told Erik that I was not ready to try again for quite awhile (at least not until Fall) because I am terrified to go through all this again...he understood completely. It's been an emotional roller coaster these past 8 weeks. From finding out that we were pregnant, to getting in a car accident with a tractor trailor, to finding out things weren't going well with the pregnancy, to finding out that we lost the baby, to miscarrying on my own, to the ER visit...I am ready for a vacation!

Thank you to all my friends and family for the wonderful support! All the cards, flowers, emails, phone calls and visits are so appreciated. I love you all!!! I am so blessed to have such great people in my life. A very special thank you to my husband Erik for his unbelievable support through it all. He has been wonderful. I love you honey! I can't forget my little Del...he has been my buddy through everything...always by my side!!! Thanks again everyone...you are all the best!!!

No comments: