Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Week 30

Week 30!!! It sounds so much closer than 29 weeks doesn't it? 30 weeks seems like a big milestone to me and I'm glad to be here.

This past week has been interesting. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes last week and the diet really isn't bad at all. My numbers have been fantastic...actually on the lower side which questions whether or not I really have this. My numbers for my 3-hour glucose were not bad at all...I only failed 2 numbers, one of which was by ONE point and the other only by a few! If I passed that one number, I would not have GD. My diabetes counselor told me that it might take a couple weeks to get used to the diet and to find out what foods spike my sugar. She said that if I want to have ice cream for dessert occasionally to go ahead and see what it does to my numbers. I'm happy to say that I had a cup of ice cream twice after dinner in the past week and my numbers were excellent!!!!! It didn't spike them AT ALL! WOOHOO!!! I'm excited that I can at least enjoy a little something for the summer heat! My counselor also said that I am more like borderline diabetic and she would be surprised if I had any numbers that are spiked high. So far, she is right...for fasting (when I wake up) they have been between 65-72, they want to see them under 90. For an hour after meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) my numbers have been averaging 90-110, they want to see them under 120. 120 is actually a low number compared to everyone else I talked to that has GD...they all need to have numbers under 140 one hour after a meal. I definitely found that Holy Spirit is EXTREMELY conservative in their ways and SOOOO overly cautious...which can be a good thing but gets to be a pain too. They tend to make you worry over nothing. Anyway, I have been eating the exact amount of carbs they want me to eat and my numbers are still on the low side. We shall see what the doctor has to say about it at my appt tomorrow. I also lost 2 lbs. since doing this diet which puts me at gaining a total of 5lbs since I got pregnant!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!!! Everyone else is closer to 20 lbs. gained at this point. Again, we shall see what my doctor has to say about it tomorrow. I'm doing exactly what they want me to do.

I'm starting to get rather uncomfortable for sleeping. Keaton tends to lay up in my ribs at night causing pain and just overall uncomfortable. I'm also peeing like crazy!!! This is coming from the huge amounts of water I am drinking along with Keaton kicking my bladder. I usually make 2 trips to the bathroom through the middle of the night and about 50 during the day. haha!

This week will be our last childbirth class! : ( We both really enjoyed these classes and the awesome people in it. We've had so much fun learning all about childbirth with a great group of people...our instructor is awesome too! We will definitely miss them.

On a side note, the Hershey Bears won their game last night sending them to the Calder Cup FINALS!!!! WOOHOO!! Let's go Bears!!! We are so excited and hope the boys bring the cup back to Hershey for the 10th time. : )

Fetal Development
Your baby's permanent teeth have developed and are waiting in his gums. Your baby is very aware of his surroundings and his eyelids will open and close. He will even look around and turn toward light. We tend to think of the uterus as a dark place but the uterus actually can be light and dark depending on your environment. Your baby weighs almost three pounds now and is approximately 15.5 inches long.

You may be able to distinguish sleeping and waking cycles in your baby. Although it usually seems as if the baby wants to sleep while you are awake, and vice versa, this is not indicative of a sleepless newborn. Your baby can not only hear your voice, but can recognize it. Also, he has a grip so strong it is capable of gripping your finger. At this point, your baby may be practicing nursing as he sucks his thumb. He has lungs that are capable of breathing air, although medical help may be needed. About 9 out of 10 babies born now will survive.

My Symptoms
- Round ligament pain
- Frequent urination
- Shortness of breath
- Uncomfortable sleep


30 week belly pic!

2 comments:

Becki said...

Horray for being able to keep ice cream in your diet for the summer. These last 10 weeks will fly by.

Becki said...

I subscribe to this blog, and this morning noticed this post about GD. I thought some of the resources in here might be helpful to you if you hadn't found them already. http://www.babygoodbuys.com/2009/05/gestational-diabetes-online-resources.html