Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Diagnosis: Gestational Diabetes

I received the dreaded phone call yesterday that I failed my 3-hour glucose test and now have gestational diabetes. : ( Even though I was prepared for them to tell me I failed, it was still a shock and I immediately started to cry my eyes out. What did I do wrong? Is my baby in trouble? Does this make me high risk? I know that there is nothing I could have done to prevent this but it still makes me feel like a bad mother or something. I'm glad that I started practicing a GD diet about a week and a half ago when I got the news that I failed my 1-hour because it makes it a little easier to digest the news. I already did a TON of research on GD over the past 2 weeks so I feel pretty educated. I go tomorrow at 12pm for my diabetic counseling where I will get my specific diet plan (based on my height, weight, and 3-hour test results) and my testing meter to start testing my sugar 4 times a day. It is all overwhelming and I know it will be tough at first but I've always been a pretty strong women, so I will be ok. I will do whatever it takes to bring a healthy baby boy into the world and if it means sacrificing ice cream and cookies over the summer...so be it. I only have about 10 more weeks to go...I can do it!!!!

3 comments:

Becki said...

Oh, Lesli, I 'm so sorry to hear that you got more bad news. Finally off the progesterone shots and now finger pricking! After all that you deserve a nice, calm infant who STTN from birth! Good luck with the diet. YOU CAN DO IT!

Kittybits said...

I am so sorry that you got that diagnosis. But you amaze me with the planning ahead you did and your willingness to drop everything (even ice cream!) for that baby. Good luck and you go girl!

Jess said...

Aww Lesli I'm so sorry!! Good luck!!