Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

So...I'm a Bad Mother Now?!?!

I just wanted to take a moment to express my frustrations when it comes to the whole breastfeeding vs. formula feeding debate. I'm so sick of getting the blank stares, funny looks, or the "Oh I see" comment following the question, "Are you nursing?" Most people walk up to meet Keaton with huge smiles on their faces soon to be turned upside down once I answer that dreaded question. Why is it so disappointing that I am formula feeding?!?!?!? Formula is not poison people! It is such a shame that society puts an extreme amount of pressure on women these days to breastfeed. Yes, breastfeeding is the top choice of all doctors. Yes, breastfeeding gives a baby the BEST nutrition. Yes, breastfeeding is cheap. But, does anyone think about the positives to formula feeding?!? NO! If anyone takes a moment to actually do some research about formula feeding you will find that it is as close to breast milk as it can get. I chose to formula feed for numerous reasons and looking back it was the best decision I ever made. Both Keaton and I are MUCH more happier since the switch. I was not breastfed as a baby and I am proud to say that I was a VERY healthy child growing up. Now, Erik was breastfed as a baby however he was quite sickly as a child...ear infections every month along with other numerous illnesses. Hmmmmm?!?! I'm not trying to start any type of debate here and I am by no means bashing those out there that breastfeed. I think it is great that you made that decision but don't look down on us formula feeders like we are some type of bad mother (I know that not everyone thinks this way). I give my baby as much love as humanly possible.

7 comments:

Gunnar's Mom said...

You are a wonderful mother. I did give Gunnar breast milk, but I pumped since we never seemed to mesh enough to breastfeed. He also had formula. Whatever decision you made you made for the right reasons for you and your baby.
Someone asked me once if I was breastfeeding and I just simply asked "Is that really your business?" They never asked again.

Cortney said...

No matter how you feed your baby, you are still a wonderful mother! It is a personal decision between what is best for you and your baby! I remember getting those looks a few times after I stopped nursing and it is like, really I just nursed for 7 months and it is my choice to switch, not anyone elses. I think people sometimes are to worried about what everyone else is doing then to really sit down and realize that what matters the most is what makes you, your son and your lives happy! I am glad you are doing so well and he is adorable!!!

C and M said...

I've been working on a similar post on my blog but on the other end of the "debate". People judge no matter what choice you make. People have made inappropriate comments to me about breastfeeding. I could say that it's a no-win situation no matter what you choose but really it's win-win as long as you and your family are happy with your choice.

Liz said...

It's a very personal decision affected by a myriad of factors, and you are a wonderful mother for making the decision that was right for your family. More power to you to rebuke those who criticize!

(FYI, like pp, I've gotten criticism for BF, too. Some in DH's family think all our problems would be solved with formula)

Jess said...

I'm so sorry people are crappy!! We've been thinking about making the switch but more for convenience which makes me feel quilty. But you are not a bad mother!! It sucks that people are so judgemental! :::HUGS::: Hope all is well!!

Jess said...

I'm so sorry people are crappy!! We've been thinking about making the switch but more for convenience which makes me feel quilty. But you are not a bad mother!! It sucks that people are so judgemental! :::HUGS::: Hope all is well!!

Anonymous said...

No matter what decisions you make in life, there will always be a "peanut gallery" to comment. Don't let them get you down. Don't skip a beat. You're a great mom!