Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Speech Delay

Well Keaton will be 19 months old exactly tomorrow and he has YET to say a word...actually he does say "car" but that is IT! Of course I'm freaking out that something is really wrong. All of Keaton's friends his age are talking up a storm! Keaton does not even say mama or dada. His 18 month check-up wasn't the best when I mentioned to the doctor that he is not talking. He told me that he is concerned and gave me information and the phone number for Early Intervention. Immediately I start thinking all these bad thoughts...Am I a terrible mom? What did I do wrong? Do I not "teach" him enough? Did I make a bad decision to not put him in daycare? I can't help but feel that this is my fault. I spend so much time with him everyday reading books, putting in baby enstein videos as much as I can, etc. We go to "Rhyme Time" at the library every week to be around other kids and to learn a variety of things. Anyway, I made the call to Early Intervention and I'm awaiting the call from our Service Coordinator for a therapist to come out and do an intake, followed by an evaluation. We shall see what this brings.

2 comments:

C and M said...

The ladies from EI are wonderful! We had Ethan evaluated in Oct b/c he had some regression. He started substituting the M sound for the B sound. He called me Boppy instead of Mommy for months. The eval was really interesting. I loved finding out where Ethan fell in the developmental spectrum and am amazed at how much he has changed since then. He didn't have enough of a delay to qualify for speech services but the eval alone was helpful b/c the therapist gave us suggestions on how to help Ethan say more words. Kids develop at different rates so try not to be too hard on yourself. Good luck!!

Amy said...

Don't think that way at all Lesli! It's not your fault. I do the same exact things with Carina. All kids are different and I have a friend who's son was in Keaton's same situation but even older. After his EI eval he really started to talk up a storm too. Some kids have it all internalized and just don't feel the need to verbalize just yet. Hang in there!